Thursday, September 6, 2007

ARE YOU LIVING IN A 3-D VIRTUAL WORLD?

Okay, I just need to take a moment to talk about something I just learned about a couple of days ago... I had no idea that things like this even existed! After getting my boys off to bed the other night, I decided I'd climb into bed myself and catch up on the news stories for the day. Instead, I ended up watching a show called i-CAUGHT TV.

On the show was a segment about a website called Second Life, a phenomenon that people from all over the globe are taking part in-- OVER 9 MILLION to be exact! Second Life is a 3-D virtual world built and owned by its "residents", meaning real people. In this virtual world, there are no limits-- you can be or do anything you desire!

What I found most fascinating about this whole "Second Life" thing is that people are logging on to this site and using it as a means for buying and selling their goods and services with other "residents". Where have I been hiding? I never qualified a virtual world as a marketplace. As a mother of two boys, I thought I knew quite a bit about video technology and virtual games. I even get video magazines delivered to my home for my eldest son.

What I've come to realize is that even in our own world, the options are becoming endless when it comes to making a business transaction. Whether you like this whole virtual concept or not, you must admit that this whole "Second Life" thing is quite clever!

No comments: